Fiancé or Proposed Civil Partner visa

The Fiancé(e) or Proposed Civil Partner visa is for engaged partners of British citizens or persons settled in the UK who wish to marry or enter into a civil partnership within 6 months of arriving in the UK. Your visa will be granted for 6 months. Fiancé visa is not the same as Marriage Visitor visa. Marriage visitor visa only allows you to enter the UK to marry and afterwards you would need to depart the UK as any visitor visa is granted on the understanding that applicant has the intention to depart the UK after a short visit.

uk fiance visa

Fiancé or Proposed Civil Partner visa does not give you the right to work in the UK. After the marriage or civil partnership ceremony, you will be able to apply for a Spouse or Civil Partner visa, which does give you the right to work.

In order to qualify for a Fiancé or Proposed Civil Partner visa, you will need to meet the following requirements:

  • Your partner is British or holds Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK;
  • You are both over the age of 18;
  • You have met in person;
  • You are both free to marry or enter into a civil partnership;
  • Your relationship is genuine and you intend to live together permanently in the UK;
  • You intend to marry or enter into a civil partnership within six months of your arrival in the UK;
  • Any previous relationships have broken down permanently;
  • You will be adequately maintained in the UK without recourse to public funds;
  • There is adequate accommodation for you and any dependents;
  • You speak and understand English to the required level.

Financial requirement

To satisfy the financial requirement, you need to provide evidence that your sponsor has £18,600 gross yearly income. If your child(children) who are not British or Settled in the UK are also applying for the visa, there is a need for an additional income of £3,800 for your first child and £2,400 for each next child. Applicants must provide specific (i.e. mandatory) evidence in order to prove that they meet the financial requirement. Immigration rules relating to the financial requirements for a Fiancé or Proposed Civil Partner visas are complex, especially when the income is from other sources than employment and/or you intend to rely on a combined income from different sources.

The Unmarried Partner or Same Sex Partner visa is based on your relationship and if your relationship breaks down the basis of your visa no longer exist and your visa may be cancelled by the Home Office.

This visa leads to settlement normally after 5 or 10 years continuous residence in the UK.