Lost or stolen BRP, what happens and what you need to do

Many UK residents use BRP cards (Biometric residence permits). Naturally, some of those cards get stolen or lost. Question that many ask is what happens when BRP is lost and what actions user has to take.

If your BRP was lost or stolen you are legally obliged to reprt it or face a fine of up to 1000 GBP. You can report lost BRP from inside the UK or from abroad. However, for a replacement BRP you may apply only from within the UK. You have three months to do so.

BRP replacement and reporting lost or stolen

What happens after you report your Biometric residence permit stolen or lost

If the loss happenned within the UK and the BRP was valid for 3 months or more you need to report it and apply for a replacement. You must do this within 3 months of losing it.

If your BRP was valid for less than three months you can follow one of three options:

  • report it as lost or stolen if you do not intend to remain in the UK after its expiry date
  • apply for a replacement if you plan to leave and re-enter the UK within 3 months of its expiry date
  • apply to extend your visa if you want to stay in the UK after its expiry date – if granted, you’ll automatically get a new BRP

BRP lost while abroad

You must report your lost or stolen BRP outside the UK.

You cannot apply for a replacement BRP outside the UK. Instead, you’ll need to apply for a ‘replacement BRP visa’, which lets you re-enter the UK once only. It costs £154.

You can apply for a replacement BRP when you return to the UK. You must do this within 3 months of reporting it lost or stolen unless you have a good reason, for example you were unable to return to the UK in that time.

If a BRP card is found after being repored lost or stolen a replacement has to be requested. BRP reported as lost or stolen becomes invalid.

If you’re in the UK, you’ll still need to apply for a replacement.

If you’re outside the UK, you’ll still need to apply for a ‘replacement BRP visa’ to travel back to the UK before applying for a replacement.

When your replacement arrives, cut your older BRP into pieces and post it to the Home Office. Make sure you cut through:

  • your personal details
  • the royal coat of arms
  • the gold biometric chip, if your card has one

Returns Unit
PO Box 195
BS20 1BT